NOLA-based artist Mary Singleton calls her color-happy paintings “botanical abstractions.”
The artist: Born in Baton Rouge, Singleton started painting as a child, disappearing into her art for hours. After taking a bohemian approach to college and life in her early 20s, she graduated with a BFA from Louisiana State University. She moved to New Orleans six years ago.
The studio: Singleton’s studio started as the corner of a guest bedroom. Then it took over the entire house. She eventually sought a new space and is now restoring a 120-year old shotgun house in the Algiers Point that was converted into a single residence in the 1980s.
While she paints, her two dachshunds, Peanut and Squiggy, nap nearby in her studio.
The art & materials: Colorful abstract paintings in acrylic and mixed media on canvas and paper ($200 to $3,600). Her main series focuses on different leaves: palmettos, figs and philodendrons.
What’s popular: Paintings based on her fiddle-leaf fig drawings, which are heavy on line work with a clean, white background. “They have been a fan and designer favorite.”
- Environment: Living in a colorful, sub-tropical environment.
- Other artists, including: Kehinde Wiley, Wayne Thiebaud, Xenia Hausner, Andy Dixon, Sarah Awad, Helen Frankenthaler and Walter Anderson.
Fun, special or unusual commissions:
- Watercolor washes to be used as wallpaper in a children’s hospital.
- An eight-foot- long canvas for a corporate setting in Houston.
What’s new: Developing a series of limited screen prints with a local artist at New Orleans-based Four Finger Press.
- New, small framed works. The “Warm Frost” works, 20 inches by 20 inches. Available May 26 at her website.
- Releasing 20 new works through The Campbell Collective, an online marketplace, June 28. (campbellcollective.co)
Where to buy: marysingletonstudio.com. Also at galleries, including:
- Ann Connelly Fine Art, Baton Rouge.
- Bee Street Gallery, Dallas.
- The Campbell Collective, online and based in Greenville, SC.
- Claire Elizabeth Gallery in New Orleans.
- Design Supply Shop, Birmingham.
- Goetze Art and Design, Memphis
- Instagram: @marysingletonstudio