North Carolina glass designer John Shoemaker draws on antique and scientific glass forms to create his modern apothecary flasks and drinkware.
The artist: Originally from Pennsylvania, Shoemaker began blowing glass in 2008 at Tyler School of Art at Temple University, where he earned a BFA in glass.
Over the years, he has extended his education by attending workshops at prestigious craft institutions, such as Penland School of Crafts, Pilchuck Glass School, and Corning Museum of Glass.
Shoemaker lives in Asheboro, where the multidisciplinary artist operates a private home glassblowing studio.
Company/studio: John Shoemaker Studio started in 2008 in Asheboro. Shoemaker started Apothecary Architecture, a new glass brand and series in 2015.
Art & materials: Primarily glass objects, like flasks, and drinkware. A distinct feature of the glass work is the use of silver and 24k gold leaf applied to the molten bubble.
What’s popular: Jewel-tone drinkware with silver leaf ($36 to $39). Includes rocks glass, pint glass and stemless wine glass.
- Apothecary flasks ($49 to $289) in various sleek and modern shapes, including cone, round and cylindrical bottles.
- Flat flasks with 24k gold and silver.
Many people are using the flasks for décor, but others intend to use them in a bar or kitchen, said Shoemaker.
Favorite tool(s): Glassblowing jacks, heat, and the furnace itself.
- Alchemist depictions in art.
- Industrial revolution antiquities.
- Mid-century-modern design
- Modern scientific glassblowing.
- Merit Award, Artsplosure, Raleigh, NC. 2022.
- Third Place, Taubman Museum of Art Sidewalk Art Show, Roanoke, VA. 2022.
What’s new: Silver leaf decanters and cocktail carafes.
What’s next: Art exhibitions and festivals, including:
- 4 Bridges Arts Festival, Chattanooga, TN. April 21-23.
- Americus Hot Glass Craft Beer festival, Americus, GA. April 8.
- Artsplosure, Raleigh, NC. May 20-21.
- Swan Coach House Summer Invitational, Atlanta, GA. May 18-July 27.
Where to buy: Apothecaryarchitecture.com. Or in person at art shows. Also at galleries, including:
- Hot Glass Alley, Charlotte, NC.
- Starworks center for art, Star, NC.
- Woodlands Gallery, Hendersonville, NC.
Get social: Instagram: @jshoe421