Georgia native Evan Blackwell Helgeson creates layered abstract paintings that reflect a love of nature, travel and color.
Artist: The Georgia native grew up in Roswell and earned a BFA from the Lamar Dodd School of Art at the University of Georgia. She also holds an MFA from School of the Museum of Fine Arts from Tufts University. She lives in the Atlanta area where she has a home studio.
In the beginning: Since grade school, she has been making art in some form. But it was not until college at UGA when she started to focus on it. In 2020, she became a full-time artist.
Art & materials: Mixed media works on paper and on canvas ($200 to $5,000). Materials include acrylic, ink, graphite, pastel and colored pencil.
Favorite tool(s): Bright brushes and graphite. (Bright brushes are pretty much a flat brush with shorter bristles.)
- Hawaii is an endless source.
- Other artists, including: JMW Turner, Helen Frankenthaler, Frank Bowling, Alma Thomas, Julie Mehretu and the quilters of Gee’s Bend.
- Art movements, including: Baroque, Impressionism, Romanticism and Abstract expression.
- An abstract painting for a client based on their wedding day photos.
- A large-scale series of collage on paper for a commercial client in Atlanta.
Recent project: A group show at Spalding Nix Fine Art in Atlanta. Through May 5.
- MINT gallery, Atlanta, GA. Through May 27.
- Swan Coach House Gallery’s Summer Invitational, Atlanta, GA. May 18-July 27.
- Nahcotta art gallery, Portsmouth, NH. Oct. 2023.
Where to buy:
- Instagram: @evanblackwell_art