Virginia metalsmith Cindy Liebel balances elements both classic and modern in her understated jewelry designs.
The company/studio: Cindy Liebel Jewelry, based in Fredericksburg went full-time in 2014. The self-taught metalsmith designs and fabricates her work in a backyard home studio.
The artist: Born in Virginia, Liebel grew up in a military family, living and traveling in the United States and abroad during her father’s 30-plus years in the Army.
After returning to Virginia, she studied fine art photography (inspired by her grandfather) and took computer science and paralegal classes. Her life changed professionally after learning basic metalsmithing skills from a local goldsmith.
The art & materials: Jewelry, from hoop and stud earrings to rings and necklaces, using recycled sterling silver, 14K gold fill and recycled 14K gold.
What’s popular: Delicate hoops in 14K gold fill ($44 to $110) and 14K Gold Micro Hoops ($160 to $288).
- Ala Necklace ($160 to $920)
- Ari & Amal Earrings with black diamonds ($310)
- Kairo Hoops ($52 to $66)
- Vida Necklace ($120 to $640)
- XO Studs ($145 to $998)
- Post-modern and contemporary architecture
- Geometric patterns and line drawings
- Graphic car designs
- The rhythm of electronic music.
“I’m consistently drawn to the details from those inspirations that lead into my design work.”
Fun or special commissions: Many engagement rings and wedding bands. Also:
- Used a client’s meteorite in a custom engagement ring.
- Updated her sister-in-law’s wedding band and engraved the wedding date inside the band.
Recent honor: Exhibited at New York City Jewelry Week as part of the “Here We Are” Class of 2021-2022.
- Exhibit at the 43rd Street Art Festival of the Arts in Richmond, Sept. 10.
- Art on the Avenue in Alexandria, Oct. 1.
- Academy Art Museum Craft Show in Easton, MD, Oct. 21-23.
Where to buy: https://cindyliebel.com
- Facebook & Instagram: @Cindyliebeljewelry